Get the ground hitting concrete flooring which is the most basic and fundamental flooring. It is used to coat the surface during the initial construction period. It is extremely strong and durable. However, industrial revolution has opened an exuberant scope to modify and improvise this basic concrete flooring into something beautiful and fancy.
Gravel is a base of any building structure and rests beneath the concrete slabs. After a lot of leveling and covering the gravel bed is covered with concrete slabs. These slabs are further grinded and smoothened. This smoothened slab is called concrete flooring. Moreover, with the latest innovations and technologies concrete flooring can be given any desired look.
Why Is Vapor Barrier Important in Concrete Flooring?
Concrete flooring is definitely known for its resistance and durability. However, one cannot deny the fact that it is also an absorbent material and can soak in liquid easily. It is thus, extremely important to establish a strong vapor barrier between the original surface and concrete flooring. Failure in installing a strong vapor barrier can cause cracks and damage the concrete flooring.
Most Common Uses of Concrete Flooring
Concrete flooring are highly considered in places where utility is important than just mere aesthetic needs. It is usually used in heavy traffic, commercial and industrial areas. Initially, concrete flooring was used only in warehouses, garages, industrial and commercial places. However, due to advancements in technology, it is now used in residential areas and kitchens, dining space, hallways, and homes in general.
Positives and Negatives of Concrete Flooring
- Extensive designs
- Low maintenance
- Long-lasting durability
- Occasional maintenance
- Naturally cool underfoot
- Slippery when wet
- Cracks can develop if not maintained properly.
Is concrete flooring suitable for homes? Why?
- Concrete floors can be a good option when there are a good existing slab foundation and a modern or industrial house structure.
- It furnishes the house with an amazing aesthetic look.
- If maintained properly concrete floors are highly durable and easy to maintain.
- It is considered as a top fit, as it is not easily damaged and does not leave furniture or pet claw scratches on the surface.
- You can use an ordinary mop to clean the floor.
Reasons why it is suitable and why not?
- Due to its hardness, it is not recommended for areas that are to be used by children and elderly people.
- It is not slip-resistant and thus not suitable for kitchens or bathrooms at all.
- It leaves the environment freezing during winter season.
- If the liquid is not absorbed properly it can invite molds at homes.
- Since the floor is extremely hard it breaks anything that crashes against it.
- Suppose the slab is not covered properly it can create cracks and damages.
A brief insight of Concrete floor cost
Its unlimited designs and creative options have surely made the variation in the price more obvious. The cost for these concrete floors can range from just $2 to endless artistic dollars. Unlike other flooring options, concrete flooring sounds budget-friendly as it does not require a lot of maintenance. It is long-lasting and does not require any major repair if maintained properly.
Simply, concrete floors are the basic form of flooring installed in every structure. It is above this concrete floor that individuals install another flooring. Concrete floors are basic, and one can easily achieve the aesthetic look at affordable prices. This is highly recommended because of the above-mentioned advantages. You can always change your mind if you do not like the flooring.